Sunday, October 11, 2009

DIY Frame Makeover

I've been trying to figure out what to do with these frames for months.  I bought them when I first moved into my apartment (2.5 years ago...) because the reds and yellows matched my decor and I needed something to spruce up my dining "room", but I was never a big fan of them - too "poster"-ish.  The frames fit the space though, so I wanted to keep them and lose the wine "art".  (There's a pesky thermostat smack in the middle of the wall that makes decorating hard.)

Roeshel over at The DIY Show Off featured some great ideas for using burlap and jute, and she inspired me!  I finally figured out what to do with my frames!

Here's what they looked like before........

And here is after!!!


A close-up:


And the set hanging on my wall.  See the thermostat I was talking about??

I'm pretty proud of myself.  I used the original art piece as my base and hot glued the burlap to the background.  Then I glued pieces of jute over the black framing that outlined the wine bottle.  I bought some faux onion grass and the red flowers at Michaels, and I went to town with the glue gun to make my focal point.

Total cost of my updated art: $13, and I have quite a bit of burlap to spare for another project!

Now, to figure out what the next project should be!


  1. I LOVE it! Great job. I know - I'm so inspired too. I did buy burlap, but didn't have a chance to work on a project. Hopefully soon! I've added yours to the post! Be sure to grab the button! :)

    Thanks for sharing!

  2. These are SO NICE! They look great!