Monday, November 16, 2009

Fall Reading Challenge Update - The Postmistress



Book two of my Fall Reading Challenge was finished this weekend while I was watching over Jackson during his recovery.  I finished up The Postmistress, by Sarah Blake.  This was an Advance Reading Copy that I got through Barnes and Noble's First Look Book Club.  It's a story about love and loss during World War II.  I was pleasantly surprised with the book - I don't normally choose wartime reading.  The author intertwines the lives of a young American reporter covering the war in Europe with the lives of those in a small Massachusetts town - a postmistress, the town doctor and his new wife.  It's a story on fate, and the way that the smallest actions can postpone - or completely change - fate.  All in all, a good read.  The final version will be published in February 2010 if you're interested in reading the book.


My Fall Reading Challenge List
The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls
Sag Harbor, Colson Whitehead
Running with Scissors, Augusten Burroughs
Julie and Julia, Julie Powell
The Last Lecture, Randy Pausch
The Postmistress, Sarah Blake
The Christmas Box, Richard Paul Evans

Five more to go before December 20th.  I'm moving on to Julie and Julia now...should be a pretty quick read, I think.  I'm hoping to get this one and at least one more read (if not two) by the end of the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.  I'm determined to meet the challenge that I set for myself!

1 comment:

  1. Let me know if you like Julie and Julia. I've been thinking about reading that one.

    ReplyDelete