Sunday, February 7, 2010

Book Review: Julie and Julia

So, I finally finished up Julie and Julia, by Julie Powell.  I started this book way back in November over the Thanksgiving holiday.  I read about half of it then, but have only read a chapter or two here and there since.  I read the last couple of chapters this weekend and can now file it away on my bookshelf.

Thoughts?  It was ok.  Not great, not my favorite.  In case you've been living under a rock for the past year and have missed the movie promotions, it's about a blogger who cooks her way through Julia Childs' Mastering the Art of French Cooking cookbook in a year.  Kudos to her, don't get me wrong.  That's a heck of a lot of fancy cooking.  But, I just didn't totally dig it.  I did appreciate the honesty with which she wrote and the journey that she traveled while she in a sense reinvented herself.

Maybe it was because it read like a blog, with each chapter a separate entity detailing a different cooking pursuit, as opposed to a novel where there is little distinction between chapters (making you more compelled to continue reading to see where the story goes), but it was easy for me to put it down for days or weeks at a time. 

Julie has a blog that she keeps up (although not the same one from the "Project"), which I think is neat because it's a little blogspot blog just like I have and not some fancy publisher house blog.

I've put off seeing the movie until I finished reading the book, so I do plan to pay a visit to the RedBox soon to check it out.  I've heard it was cute.

I'm not sure what my next read will be, but I better get on it because I want to meet my goal of getting through two books this month and February is a shorty month!  For tonight though, it's Super Bowl festivities...I'm heading out to a Super Bowl party - I'm bringing my yummy spinach and artichoke dip.  I'm going to cheer for the Saints, but really all I care about is the commercials (shhhhhhhhh!) and of course, all the food :)

No comments:

Post a Comment